Monday, October 11, 2010

Contentment...

Today I began reading the book, "The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment" written by a Puritan named Jeremiah Burroughs. You have to understand, I come from a long line of murmurers and grumblers. Complaints and grumbles come from my lips easily and easily taint every good thing in my life. This definitely is not a grace of a "quiet and gentle spirit" daughter of the King, and I want it out... I want this soul sickness to end with me.  Lord, please take this murmuring of a discontented heart and transform me into a woman of beauty, submission and grace.

I like the definition that is given in the first chapter of this book. Contentment, according to Jeremiah is: that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God's wise and fatherly disposal in every condition.

Paul speaks of having "learned the secret of being content in any and every situation" (Phil. 4:11-13). It's true, it is a secret. One of the most precious of all secrets. But, it can also be "learned". This is what mothers can teach their children. It is like a sacred thread throughout a life that weaves a beautiful  tapestry in all that we do and say. I have lived my life fighting for comfort, peace, security and "my way". Murmuring, grumbling and complaining at each little and big bump in my life. Following my own plans and agenda. Oh Abba, forgive my past, teach me this beautiful secret, to submit and delight in your wise and fatherly disposal in every condition.

Oh, And Abba, help all my daughters and future granddaughters to also know the secret and the Giver of this sweet secret. Start today.

1 comment: